Brandon Staley was hired as the new head coach of the Los Angeles Chargers in January. It appears oddsmakers have high expectations for the former Los Angeles Rams defensive coordinator.
According to BetOnline.ag, Staley has the best odds to be named Coach of the Year this season at +1200. Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores, Cleveland Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski, Washington Football Team head coach Ron Rivera and Los Angeles Rams head coach Sean McVay have the second-best odds at+1400.
Here’s the top 10:
- Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers: +1200
- Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins: +1400
- Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns: +1400
- Ron Rivera, Washington Football Team: +1400
- Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams: +1400
- Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons: +1600
- Bill Belichick, New England Patriots: +1600
- Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills: +1600
- Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs: +1800
- Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: +1800
The Chargers went 7-9 last season with Anthony Lynn as head coach. Justin Herbert put together a solid 2020 campaign en route to being named Offensive Rookie of the Year and is expected to have an equally impressive, if not better, season under Staley in 2021.
Staley entered the NFL in 2017 as an outside linebackers coach for the Chicago Bears. He then joined the Denver Broncos in 2019 as outside linebackers coach before joining the Rams in 2020 as their defensive coordinator.
Staley was seen as one of the best head coaching hires this offseason because he churned out the No. 1 defense in the NFL in his first season as defensive coordinator with the Rams in 2020. The Rams defense boasted the likes of Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey, and now Staley has the likes of Joey Bosa and Derwin James.
L.A.’s defense might finally maximize its talent under Staley, and the offense will continue to produce with Herbert. Good things are coming with Staley, so it’s no surprise he sits atop the Coach of the Year odds.